David "Derpy Drift" Adams

December 18, 2015

A New Beginning…

Filed under: Photos and Videos, The Build — Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , — D.Adams Drift @ 2:08 pm

Before I get started, I want to say that Derpy is STILL my car and I will still be shipping her up to work on her and see what can be done.

Project “Derpy Drift” is currently being transformed from my 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi, over to my 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata. While I’m NOT super happy about this (for many reasons), it is the most logical move and makes the most sense both financially and in terms of motorsports logistics. Disregarding the fact that the Miata out performs a Conquest in every way imaginable, it also has an infinitely larger aftermarket and far more persons and shops that are willing to support her.

You can ask my best friends and my fiancee, I did NOT come to this decision easily. It took 3 years to decide to move on and it took weeks to decide to finally use the Miata (as opposed to buying another car).

 

With that said and out of the way, I am beginning the build now and working towards getting her ready for 2016. It won’t be the fastest build, but I should be ready to hit my first event by season open. I’ll still be mixing drifting with racing, so no need to worry. My hope is that with the availability of parts for the Miata that I am able to participate more readily and for less money than I would have if I stuck with the Conquest.

Some pics of the latest. Here’s her roll bar getting put in. We decided to purchase just a hard dog hard bar and modify from that. With the help of a MazdaSpeed MX-5 group member, Brenden, we got a slamming deal! The end result will be a welded in harness bar and structural bracing from the bar down to the rear deck. ¬†I’ll have to draw up an idea of how I want my rear bar to be, ¬†hopefully I can throw that together sometime here soon.

I hope you enjoy!

Pictures!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

March 15, 2014

Slowly But Surely Coming Together! New Cage Work

Got my car dropped off at Team 1 Motorsports to get my cage modified so it can conform to SCCA/NASA spec. The long and short of it is, a 6-point cage is perfectly fine, but it lacked the necessary cross brace and harness bar to get things up to code. That said, all of that was added and the results are so awesome, I can’t wait!

 

First, Jon (my fabricator and mechanic) got the tube notched and ready to weld.

 

Cross brace tacked into place and fitted. All that is left from here is to complete the welds and get the harness bar in.

 

 

The man is SUCH a genius with this stuff. He makes it look SO easy!

 

I can’t wait to continue with the roll cage project. We have ONE thing to do before we continue the cage. I’ll let you know what that thing is once all of the pieces are in place.

 

The cage will go forward with rear-strut-tower bracing and door bars. Then we MAY do a halo X-Brace . . .we’ll see.

 

 

Thanks so much for viewing!

 

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.