Before I get started, I want to say that Derpy is STILL my car and I will still be shipping her up to work on her and see what can be done.
Project “Derpy Drift” is currently being transformed from my 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi, over to my 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata. While I’m NOT super happy about this (for many reasons), it is the most logical move and makes the most sense both financially and in terms of motorsports logistics. Disregarding the fact that the Miata out performs a Conquest in every way imaginable, it also has an infinitely larger aftermarket and far more persons and shops that are willing to support her.
You can ask my best friends and my fiancee, I did NOT come to this decision easily. It took 3 years to decide to move on and it took weeks to decide to finally use the Miata (as opposed to buying another car).
With that said and out of the way, I am beginning the build now and working towards getting her ready for 2016. It won’t be the fastest build, but I should be ready to hit my first event by season open. I’ll still be mixing drifting with racing, so no need to worry. My hope is that with the availability of parts for the Miata that I am able to participate more readily and for less money than I would have if I stuck with the Conquest.
Some pics of the latest. Here’s her roll bar getting put in. We decided to purchase just a hard dog hard bar and modify from that. With the help of a MazdaSpeed MX-5 group member, Brenden, we got a slamming deal! The end result will be a welded in harness bar and structural bracing from the bar down to the rear deck. I’ll have to draw up an idea of how I want my rear bar to be, hopefully I can throw that together sometime here soon.
I hope you enjoy!